Thursday, February 24, 2011

Seriously??

A little free-verse to get us started this morning:


200 gallons of water in my basement.
A waterfall from my ceiling vent.
In my room with all the books.

Floating carpet.
Pad soaking up water like a sponge.
Water climbing up the door jams.

28 high-powered fans.
Water extraction vacuums.
10 days of drying time.

Closet contents scattered.
Furniture stacked against walls.
Books buried 12 feet under.

Can't get to the TV.
DVR recordings piling up.
Sub-contractors taking their sweet time.

Although I've never seen myself as a poet, the above verses really evoke emotions, don't they?  Or maybe it's just me that gets a twisting in my gut when I read this.

There is a silver lining.  My daughter and I found my two old guitars in the pile of rubble/rubbish formerly stuffed at the back of a closet.  Whilst sitting atop tipped-over bookshelves, and surrounded by Halloween costumes, we broke into an impromptu duet.  "Here Comes the Sun."

From our lips to God's ears.

Little darling,
the smiles returning to their faces.
Little darling,
it seems like years since it's been here.
Here comes the sun
Do-n-do do
Here comes the sun...


And I say,  it's alright...

Amen to that!

-Sylva

No comments:

Post a Comment