Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Science of Good Works

I've been in a funk lately.  But until today, I've not known why.  Prior to this morning I was making lists of all the things I was doing right.  I guess I was trying to prove to myself that I had no reason to be in a funk.  My list of 'rightness' was huge.  For self-gratification purposes, I am including said list:

I read my scriptures daily
I say morning and evening prayers regularly
Every night there is a hot, home-cooked meal on the table for my family
I call my parents and siblings just to say 'Hi'
I recently forgave a sister who had hurt me deeply and our relationship is better than ever
I pay a tithe to my church
I am faithful to my husband
The words I say, and the thoughts I think are clean and hopefully above reproof
I try to keep my home clean and free of stressful clutter
Every morning I exercise - running, weights, yoga - my physical body is healthy and fit
I am taking time to enjoy nature, even in the bleak mid-winter
I tell my kids I love them every day
I hug my kids every day
My pets are happy, well-fed, and also get hugs every day
Every Sunday, you can find me on the front pew at church
I read my church-generated periodical from cover to cover every month
The books I read and the shows I watch are clean and uplifting
I feel that I have recently overcome a rather detrimental habit
I look for things to be grateful for
My attitude about life is generally positive and upbeat - it's hard to keep me down
I have good friends that I do things with regularly
I try to be kind

What it all boils down to is that I am trying to be the best person I can be.  Living cleanly and with gratitude in my heart is, at this point in my life, still a goal I strive daily to reach.  Eventually it will become second nature to me, and then an 'Attitude of Gratitude' and a clean life will become my defining characteristics.  

But back to my list.  There are 22 reasons I should not be in a funk listed up there.  22 things that I am doing right.  And they are pretty major things, even if I do say so myself.  Yet here I am, feeling stagnant, stuck, and in a bit of a stupor.  Until this morning when a scripture came to mind:  

1 Corinthians 13

1:  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2:  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3:  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4:  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 

5:  Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6:  Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7:  Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8:  Charity never faileth...

13:  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. 

This morning I recognized a noticeable gap in the make up of my daily life, a hole in the fabric of my so-called righteousness.

A decided lack of charity.

Until now.

I am about to test Paul's words to the Corinthians.  

Blessings sometimes come like a cuff upside the head.
Thank you, Dear Father, for the wake up call.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go follow the Master Teacher, and whip up a batch of bread for my neighbors.

-Sylva        

No comments:

Post a Comment