Monday, December 13, 2010

Late Night Chats

Last night my husband and I sat up talking.  This chat session was prefaced with those four little words that no one wants to hear:  "we need to talk..."

Even though I knew what we were going to discuss, and I knew our marriage was and is still rock-solid, I have to admit that my stomach dropped upon hearing that dreaded phrase.  But I need to back up a bit.

My husband and I are looking to relocate.  Not too far away from where we currently sit, but far enough for a fresh start, and in a neighborhood that suits us better.  The desired neighborhood is one we've had our eye on since moving to this state seven years ago.  But seven years ago, we couldn't afford a home in this exclusive area.  Now, however, with housing prices what they are, we could easily situate ourselves comfortably in this hidden treasure of a community and stay there for the remainder of our days.

We've walked through countless houses for sale down in that neighborhood.  Some that had wallpaper on every surface (I kid you not...EVERY surface!) and some that need to be gutted.  Some that are only moderately worn, but are over-priced, and some that should be condemned and then leveled to the ground.

Last night the hubs and I sat up making a list of pros and cons comparing our two favorites.  After we'd been deliberating for an hour, a surprising tidbit surfaced:  We like the same things!  It was such a comforting realization to me.  We've been married for almost eighteen years and I just now figured it out.

We have the same goals.  We share the same dreams.  We are pulling in the same direction - like a well-matched team of horses.  What a blessing it is to know that he is on my team!  This strong - often to the point of being stubborn - man is working with me to make our similar dreams come true!

Thank you, God, for such a man in my life.  What I've done to deserve him as my teammate/ co-creator, I may never know, but it is a blessing that he is by my side.

Here's to more late night chats where we learn more priceless gems about each other....
And here's hoping you have such a friend in your life too.

-Sylva Leining        

1 comment: