Monday, December 6, 2010

Water!

The biggest blessing in my life today has been running water!

Last week my kitchen faucet broke.  Thank goodness for lifetime warranties (they are a blessing too, and deserve their own post...perhaps another time) and for companies who stand behind their products.  One phone call later, and a brand new faucet - complete with sprayer and soap dispenser - was on its way.

It arrived today via UPS (whose praises will be sung in another post) and I called a neighbor friend who happened to be free to install it for me 15 minutes later.

This neighbor is a blessing too.  He deserves a post all to himself, because while my husband is many things, handy is not one of them.  This neighbor has bailed us out of many home improvement / repair issues over the years, is a blast to talk to, and takes payment in cookies and Sunday visits.

An hour and several stories later, I had water in my kitchen for the first time in seven days.  My eyes flowed as freely as my new faucet.  

How did we manage for seven days without water?  Well, it was hard, I'll be honest.  Not a fun week by any stretch of the imagination.  We ate out a lot (which, now that I think about it was a blessing. Period.                     Panda Express and Cafe Rio need their own spot in the 'Tis A Blessing library of posts too).

Any water we actually used at the kitchen sink came from a two-liter Sprite bottle.  And we used a lot of water, even on our water-restricted week.  So much that we filled that Sprite bottle many times while doing dishes, lugging it back and forth from the laundry room sink.  "Fetching water" is no fun.  It felt like camping.  I do not love to camp.

But now, at last, I can turn on my faucet and get hot or cold water at will.  The sheer joy of it makes a girl cry.

Enjoy the little things,
Sylva Leining        

No comments:

Post a Comment